Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Most awaited directorial debuts this year

http://www.hindustantimes.com/images/HTEditImages/Images/naseer-arshad-vidya-ishqiya.jpg
After young guns Ayaan Mukherjee and Abhishek Choubey, who created magic with Wake Up Sid and Ishqiya, another set of newbie directors is set to test Bollywood waters. HT City brings you the five most awaited directorial debuts this year.
Punit MalhotraPunit is Manish Malhotra’s cousin and is directing the Sonam Kapoor-Imran Khan starrer I Hate Luv Stories, produced by Karan Johar. The 28-year-old has previously been an assistant director on Kal Ho Na Ho and Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. About his debut, Punit says on Twitter, “I had a ball making my first film. Just wrapped it up. I have a lot of people to thank — Karan Johar, Sonam Kapoor and Imran Khan.”
Danish Aslam
Danish is directing Kunal Kohli’s Imran Khan and Deepika Padukone-starrer Break Ke Baad, about a couple who breaks up and then comes back together. Danish, 30, has earlier assisted on films such as Ta Ra Rum Pum and Thoda Pyaar thoda Magic. Ask him about his style of filmmaking, and he says, “It’s my first film. It’s a bit premature to talk about my style. But it’s a modern day, urban love story. And it’s going to be a damn good movie. That’s good enough?”
Siddharth Malhotra
Son of Cinevista honcho Prem Kishen, Siddharth is directing the Hindi version of the Hollywood flick Stepmom starring Kareena Kapoor, Arjun Rampal and Kajol. The 31-year-old has earlier assisted Karan Johar on My Name Is Khan. “I have just wrapped up the film and I am thankful to Arjun, Kajol and especially Karan Johar (the producer of his film),” he says.
Abhinay DeoAdman Abhinay is directing Aamir Khan’s Delhi Belly starring Imran Khan and Shenaz Treasurywala, and also Abhishek Bachchan and Kangna Ranaut-starrer Game. He says, “I was approached because of the nature of Delhi Belly. Aamir Khan wanted a fresh director. He was scouting for people in the advertising industry and saw some of my work, found me suited for Delhi Belly.”
Abhinav Kashyap
Expectations from Abhinav are very high. And it’s no surprise given that he is filmmaker Anurag Kashyap’s brother. Abhinav is directing Arbaaz Khan’s debut production Dabanng starring Salman Khan and Shatrughan Sinha’s daughter Sonakshi. He has earlier written the dialogues for Manorma 6 Feet Under and 13B. Salman plays a corrupt cop in Dabanng and the film is currently being shot in Dubai. Abhinav says, “I am directing the film, but it is too early to talk about it,” he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment