Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tattoo Tuesday: Radiohead, Maniacs, Mole Man and more reader art

Welcome back to Tattoo Tuesday! Each week we spotlight Pop Candy readers' fantastic pop-culture tattoos -- and boy, do you have a lot of 'em.
First things first: SEND ME YOUR TATTOO PICS! The address is popcandy@usatoday.com. All you need to include are your name, city and a brief description of the body art.
This week we begin with Jamie M. (Dgnforfire), a reader in Pasadena, Calif. "I love Tetris. A lot," Jamie says. "I could only commit to a little block, but I might add a few more pieces in the future."

Matt C. wanted to show off his "Shaking Hands" artwork from Radiohead's OK Computer and Meeting People Is Easy film.
"Radiohead has been my favorite band since 1995," he says. "I'm still a huge fan, and this tattoo symbolizes my love of music. I'd been thinking about it for awhile, but I finally bit the bullet when my best friend was getting married. I paid for us both to get tattoos." He got it done at Adept Tattoos in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

As Stephanie (MamaChockley) explains, this is "artwork from the back of 10,000 Maniacs' In My Tribe CD. Yeah, I'm pretty old."

Alex S. (asteed) in Cornish, Maine, send a great pic of his literary tattoo. A little background:

"No formerly heroic times" represents an Annie Dillard quote from the book For the Time Being, in which she writes: "There were no formerly heroic times, and there was no formerly pure generation. There is no one here but us chickens, and so it has always been." It is a quote/book my ex-girlfriend (with whom I am still very close) shared with me when we first met. The border was designed with her input by one of my very best friends, so it is all very personal to me. It took five hours to complete by the insanely talented Kapten Hanna, who very recently moved from Maine to work in San Francisco.

Finally, Richmond reader Squiddyboy sent pics of his super-villain tattoos. "They're not the most feared, but I think they're a little more distinctive than big shots like the Joker or Darth Vader," he says.
"The maniacally laughing caterpillar is Mr. Mind, an evil genius from the planet Venus who had to cackle with the aid of a tiny radio around his neck. ... He was the founder of the Monster Society of Evil and concocted all sorts of schemes to destroy Captain Marvel and the Marvel family."

Squiddyboy continues: "This is of course the Mole Man, the first villain of the Marvel Age of comics. He made his first appearance in Fantastic Four #1 battling the FF with an army of monsters and his own misanthropy.
"I decided to have these two etched into my body because they represent everything ridiculous and fun about comics. Also, they're little ugly guys who can hold their own against whole families of superheroes. That's inspirational."

Thanks to all of you for the magnificent photos, and please keep them coming! Stay tuned next week for another installment of Tattoo Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment