Sunday, March 7, 2010

Japan Makes More Human Robot

Researchers at the University of Tokyo are making a robot that can move more like a real person.


When the revolution comes, the robots will need a unit that can interface with us, a unit designed so that we might understand their commands better. Enter Kojiro, the first step towards a robotic Locutus of Borg, which has a musculoskeletal much like our own.
Researchers at the University of Tokyo's JSK Robotics Laboratory have built Kojiro to get away from the stiffness of current robots and have a more natural range of movement. Kojiro's complicated system of motors, gyros and tendons make him hard to program however.
Joking about the robot Armageddon aside, Kojiro seems like a cool project, and one that hopefully means that my dream of having a robot butler look after me in my twilight years isn't just a pipedream. I must admit though, this particular model creeps me out a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment