Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Embroidery artist Rajrani Sisodia's stitch itch

Mumbai: Once a housewife in Jaipur and now a successful artist, Rajrani Sisodia has taken the art of embroidery to an entirely new level, with her artworks done with needle and thread.Not only does she create shadings, dual tones, and reflections in water but also shadows with threads and needle. No wonder, she has managed to impress the likes of Aamir Khan, Jaya Bachchan, Queenie Singh and many other art lovers. After seeing her works Aamir Khan wrote in her comment book, ‘To, dear Ms Rajrani, wishing you all the happiness and success in life.Your work is a unique art form and your perfection is total.’
Work at the show
Rajrani claims that since childhood she has been in love with the needle. “I remember that when I was about 12 years old, I could stitch a frock for myself.” She adds, “I have not studied a lot. I just about finished secondary school but have continuously been embroidering. In fact, initially I would just give out my art works for free as gifts or mementos.” Later, one of her husband’s friends insisted that she put up a stall of her works in one of the local exhibitions held in Jaipur. She did, and that was followed by many offers from people to learn the art form from her. “I was living in a joint family and was unsure whether I would be allowed to teach. And gladly I was. I accumulated the tuition fees and put up an art exhibition at the palace in Udaipur. That was my turning point as the King of Udaipur, Arvind Singh Mewar helped me to promote my art.” Rajrani claims that she has always tried to create something new and different with her needle and thread. “I saw this beautiful photograph of a tiger drinking water from a pond and his reflection in the same. I was itching to recreate that reflection in my art work. And I succeeded,” asserts Rajrani. “It’s my work that gives me satisfaction, joy and peace.” Rajrani is currently holding an exhibition at the Oberoi Art Walk till March 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment