Friday, June 11, 2010

‘I’ve been honing my skills and improving my art’

Ever since John Abraham signed up for the remake of the Tamil hit film, Kaakha Kaakha, the actor and the movie have constantly been in the news. The Hindi version, which was scheduled to start this month, and was to be helmed by Nishikant Kamat for producer Vipul Shah, has been put on the backburner for now. Until then, Abraham will finish Tarun Mansukhani’s Dostana 2 and Rohit Dhawan’s (David Dhawan’s son) Desi Boyz.
‘I’m looking forward to Abhishek in Dostana 2’
Reportedly, the actor was supposed to complete a schedule of Kamat’s film before flying to London for Mansukhani’s sequel. And that would have required him to tone down his physique for Dostana 2 in a matter of 10 days, since the Kaakha Kaakha remake needs him to be bulky. “At this point in time, Dostana is too close. This deliberate attempt of bulking up and reducing muscle can be detrimental to my body. I’ve been advised to avoid that. Since Dostana is a prior commitment, it remains a priority,” he says, adding: “It’s important for me to understand what the body requires, so we’ll have to space out the shoot for the Kaakha Kaakha remake. There’s no point in rushing things. And as it is said, better safe than sorry.”

Shah and Kamat, too, seem to share Abraham’s viewpoint. Besides, the director is, reportedly, still working on the final draft of the Hindi remake. “Nishikant is very particular about scripts, before we take a call on scheduling. Agreed that it will take some time, but it’s also important for me to do it at the right time and in the right manner,” he reasons. Considering that Dostana was well received, when asked what he is looking forward to in the sequel, that also features Katrina Kaif, and Abhishek Bachchan, he says, “I’m looking forward to Abhishek. He’s my partner in the film,” he grins mischievously.
On a serious note, the actor tells us that soon after finishing work on Dostana 2, he will be away for five months for Rohit Dhawan’s Desi Boyz with Akshay Kumar. Though, he admits that after sitting at home for about eight months, two back-to-back films do seem a bit too much. “I’m very secure in my space because I was isolated from all that was happening around me. I’m only concerned with what I’m doing. I’ve been honing my skills, improving my art and choosing scripts wisely,” he says, elaborating on what he did during his break.
‘Endorsements are a direct derivative of your audience following’
While the progress in Bollywood may be slow, Abraham is rapidly extending his reach as a brand ambassador. After inking an endorsement with the electronics company, Haier, he was recently signed on as Van Heusen’s first ambassador in India. “Being a clotheshorse, it’s more important because V Dot, the club variant of the brand is being launched in India,” he enthuses. “I think endorsements are a direct derivative of your audience following; it may commensurate with the success or failure of your films. Fortunately, my audience has been loyal to me despite the success or failure of any film and I’m thankful to them for their eagerness to see me on screen.”
Abraham, who launched his signature style with Wrangler a few years ago, has given abundant inputs for the new club-wear range too. “The audience is very smart. They know what to expect when a certain brand signs on a particular celebrity. I’m very careful about the associations I make, just as brands consider all aspects before approaching me to endorse their product ranges,” he concludes.

No comments:

Post a Comment